I think we figured all of this out already. Runlevel 1 is a defined
runlevel (/etc/inittab) who's behavior is based on the related rc.d
scripts (Runlevel 1 could therefore spam the screen with ascii art
and do nothing more).

Runlevel S, obviously, is what one would use if you were just going to get
things going (good if you're building a system from scratch... or doing a
major rebuild of a b0rked setup).

Runlevel 1 would seem to be accessible via init/telinit (since
traditionally, runlevel 1 means that none of the network stuff is going
among other things), whereas Runlevel S would logically be best
(if not only) accessible by rebooting.