    jz> Thank you for your advice but the tape is still not working.
    jz> When I try to back up /etc to tape. It seems the process has been finish
    jz> from sever screen. but when I pull out the tape, I found that the tape
    jz> still in original staus, it did not wind.
    jz> Folloing is the info from dmesg

    jz> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    jz> [root@Milo /root]# dmesg|grep 'st0'
    jz> A#tached scsi tape st0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 6,slun 0
    jz> st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
    jz> st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00: sense key Unit Attentiin

    jz> Can you give me some more suggestion?
    jz> Thank you very much.

OK, this sounds like a media or hardware problem.
Have you tried cleaning the heads and or using a different tape ?

It appears that the software is fine and you are communicating with
the drive.

--
Ray Curtis
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://www.ccux.com