    cdb> Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Before you guys get too carried away, how do you know
    cdb> that nothing has been written on the tape?  /dev/st0 will automatically
    cdb> rewind after access is completed so everytime you complete writing to
    cdb> the device the tape will rewind to the beginning and it will look like
    cdb> the tape hasn't moved.  Try to untar from the tape to a temporary
    cdb> directory and see if there is anything there or simply cat from the tape
    cdb> to a tar file, or do a 'tar tvf /dev/st0' and see if there is a table of
    cdb> contents on the tape.

    cdb> If it's really important that the tape not rewind after writing to it
    cdb> then use device /dev/nst0 instead of /dev/st0.  Do a 'man st' for more
    cdb> information about SCSI tape devices.

    cdb> Hope this helps.
I should have suggested that myself, I was only assuming that he knew
it didn't write to the tape or move the tape by what he had said:

/quote

Thank you for your advice but the tape is still not working.
When I try to back up /etc to tape. It seems the process has been finish
from sever screen. but when I pull out the tape, I found that the tape
still in original staus, it did not wind.

quote/

--
Ray Curtis
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://www.ccux.com