On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 19:40, Carole Womeldorf wrote:
> I have three (at least) major problems that I've been struggling with
> for a good while.
>
> 1)  RPM doesn't work.
> [root@bgp543409bgs root]# rpm --rebuilddb
> rpmdb: write: 0xbfffd520, 8192: No space left on device
> error: db3 error(28) from dbenv->open: No space left on device
> error: cannot open Packages index

OK, several things to check:
# Make sure there's space on /var (or / if you don't have a
# separate /var.)
df
# Files should all be mode 644, owned by rpm.rpm
ls -l /var/lib/rpm
# Make sure no programs have the files open already
fuser -v /var/lib/rpm/*

> 3)  Recently when I try to print (RH 7.2, i686, HPD722C) I get the error
> message: "cannot open connection to localhost - Connection refused. Make
> sure LPD server is running on the server."
>
> And when I type: "/sbin/service lpd restart"  -  I get: Stopping
> lpd:[FAILED] Starting
> lpd:[  OK  ]  I believe this LPD FAILURE is the crux of the
> problem....But I've no idea how to fix it.

The failure means that lpd was not running, so it can't be shut down.
It won't start if NETWORKING=no in /etc/sysconfig/network or if
/usr/sbin/lpd is not executable.

See if lpd is running for sure using 'ps ax | grep lpd'

If it's not running, run /usr/sbin/lpd from the command line to start
it.  You may see error messages masked by the init scripts.