Hi Ben - thanks for joining in.  But I don't understand what you are
suggesting here - When I boot up I see two options - <F2> to get me into
set up and Esc to get me into "grub" after that it starts up all the
deamons and goes straight to a GUI with a login window.  At that window
there appears to be a choice "failsafe" which looks like a simple log in
but when that comes up for some reason I can't type anything in.  What
is and how do I get to the lilo prompt?  Or how do I shut a bunch of
daemons down?

Still stumped....
CW