Hi Linus,

> First, make sure you have sg (SCSI generic) support in your system. It
> is almost always built as a module.

sg is supported and loaded.

> Also, make sure the scanner is being
> detected by your SCSI adapter before Linux starts booting.

If you mean being detected by the adapter even before LILO (on the boot-up
initialization sequence), it is being detected.

> Then check to
> see if Linux is detecting it.

According to cat /proc/scsi/scsi, the scanner isn't being detected by Linux.
This is exactly the part I'm having trouble with.  cat /proc/scsi/scsi
returns

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Promise  Model: 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 Rev: 1.10
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

(This is the integrated FastTrack 100 Lite that the Promise driver reports
to the Kernel as a SCSI device)

> Once you verify the scanner is being detected, check the permissions as
> mentioned in the relnotes:
>
> "You need to make sure all of the /dev/sg* devices are read/write
> accessible."

I had made them accessible, unfortunately, that's not the issue.

I'd appreciate any pointers you can give me on the areas above mentioned.
Thanks,

Ricardo J. Méndez Castro       http://www.sheertalent.com/rmendez/
"Most people have too exalted an idea of what art must be to
 connect their own impulses to create with delivering themselves."
 -- David Cronenberg