Here's my problem:

While playing around with some 3d programs, I kept running into the
problem of glut.h not being found.  Now, I knew from 7.2 days that this
file was in the Mesa package, or more precisely the Mesa-devel package.
 So I do a rpm -qa|grep Mesa.  Nothing.  Look on the cd, mirrors, srpms
dir; nothing.  I get some help by using the command rpm -q
--whatprovides Mesa-devel, and it tells me that Mesa-devel is now
provided in XFree86-devel.  But, glut.h still doesn't exist.  After some
digging, and some help from mharris@redhat, I found that it now exists
in it's own packages, glut and glut-devel.  Fine and dandy, I can
compile the program and play with my 3d app.

But, why wasn't this documented?  I'd imagine that a a change like
this(integrating most of one package into another, and creating new
packages for glut), should be documented in the RELEASE-NOTES, which is
the first thing I re-read when I couldn't find glut.h.  An example of
things in the RELEASE-NOTES is

postgresql has been updated, be sure to do pg_dumpall before upgrading.
initscripts now disables DMA on ide cd-roms by default
we now include blah-blah language

Something like
the Mesa packages are now integrated into XFree86, and glut, which was
in Mesa, is now in it's own binary and devel packages

would have saved me a bit of time.  I don't understand why I had to look
elsewhere to find this information.  I feel it should have been
documented.  I can say, and I'm sure that many agree, that wasting time
is the thing I enjoy doing least.  By not documenting this, 7.3
effectively wasted my time.  Sour experience definitely.  I wonder what
UnitedLinux is like....

--
Patrick Paul
Systems Administrator