I am totally stumped.

Here is the issue:  I am running an NEC Versa 5080/64mb RAM/3gb HD and I
just put a fresh install of RH7.3 on it.  Now here is where issues come
in...

I have a SMC8040TX network card which is supposed to be NE2000 compliant.
So it just automagically loads the pcnet_cs.o module.  The first time I
inserted the card it worked wonderfully.  I got a DHCP address and I could
get to the net and bring up any page I wanted to.  Then I made the mistake
of turning my laptop off. :-/

Now when I boot up (changing no settings) the card is detected and the
driver is loaded (known from hearing both beeps and doing an lsmod) but it
will not transmit anything over the network.  It is as if it can only listen
to the traffic on the rest of the network but not participate.  I can do an
'ifconfig eth0 up' and it shows up in my card listing and then do a
'tcpdump -i eth0' and it shows every single packet flowing through the
network.  If I try and hardwire an address to the card ('ifconfig eth0
192.168.0.5 up') then it shows the IP address but I cannot ping anything.
This is very frustrating since it worked perfectly the first time.

To sum up: fresh install of RH7.3 NIC works perfectly.  Reboot and it
becomes a silent partner on the network.  Will not join in the chatter
anymore... even when I uninstall PCMCIA support and put it back in.

Any ideas?
 - Matt Bradford