Hidong
sorry for this rather late answer  ...

As David was already writing in this thread (if I understood him
correctly :) you don't need an rpm for Mozilla to install it.

On May 27, 2002, 21:18 (-0700) Hidong Kim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install mozilla 1.0 rc3.  I untarred the gzip'ed archive.
> When I did ./configure, I got this error:

I either didn't succeed in installing a new mozilla-1.0rc3-0.i386.rpm
(and all the other toys they offering together with it) here on Redhat
6.2, and my solution was to simply unpack the tarball for it (source
is: mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.0rc3.tar.gz)  and use it: I did not
even have to compile or build it, I could use it right after only
unpacking it ...  so: no dependency problems at all with this method
here ...

Following is a part of the install notes on
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.0/

"1. Create a directory named " mozilla1.0.RC3 " (mkdir mozilla1.0.RC3)
 and change to that directory (cd mozilla1.0.RC3 ).

2. Click the link to download the non-installer mozilla*.tar.gz file
into the mozilla1.0.RC3 directory.

3. Change to the mozilla directory (cd mozilla1.0.RC3 ) and decompress
the file with the following command:
gunzip -dc moz*.tar.gz | tar -xvf

[ ... or as I did, if I read my bash_history correctly:
tar zxvf moz*.tar.gz
--W.P.  ]

- (This creates a "mozilla"  subdirectory under your mozilla1.0.RC3
directory.)

4. Change to the mozilla directory (cd mozilla).

5. Run Mozilla with the ./mozilla run script."

The point is that this new release, tho ,as it seems to me, having
been built mainly for i686 machines, even on my relatively slow i585
machine is running faster than the previous release candidate, which
was a 1.0rc1 (?), IIRC ... and this last point is definitely a good
reason for me to install a new version, as the previous release I had
was slower than the new one is ...

So if you like Mozilla, I'd really try the very latest release .. :)

The only drawback for this install method seems to me, that I still do
not know how to fulfill the rule that the mozilla folks tell in one
of their README files from another source:

"For all platforms, install into a clean (new) directory.
Installing on top of previously released builds may cause
problems. "

But by following this last rule I still don't see a possibility how
future Mozilla installs (i.e. installed by the method from above)
atomatically could read my old Mozilla bookmarks, preferences files
etc if I install these future Mozillas into a fresh directory ...

I'll wait and see (and save my current Mozilla preferences files for
future releases :)

But: at least this last install (1.0rc3) read my old user
.mozilla files from the previous rpm install ....

Good luck :)

Regards
Wolfgang

>[ ... ]
>
> Hidong

New Key on: http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/
Key fingerprint = 40CD 52DF A5AC 66A3 C0F4  F54D 0B0B 9ED1 860A 9B64

http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer/

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --