You could also use 446 instead of 512.  This will remove the MBR, but leave
the partition table intact, since the partition table is kept in the last 66
bytes.  I use this to remove the MBR for lilo, grub, dos.  A lot of people
suggest fdisk /mbr.  Problem 1 need a dos/win disk.  Problem 2 doesn't
really remove the mbr just replaces it with the dos one.  Using 446 salvages
your partitions, but zeroes out the MBR.

JMF