Paul Thomas,

On Tuesday June 11, 2002 06:42, you said something about:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Brian Ashe wrote:
> > Paul Thomas,
> >
> > On Tuesday June 11, 2002 04:13, you said something about:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I made a directory called 'work'. In it I put an rpm package. I
> > > would like to unpack this package and install itself with directory
> > > tree in a subdirectory of the 'work' directory. I don't want rpm
> > > to install the package in the system itself. I just want to be
> > > able to inspect a few things first.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by this.
>
> Read again my original text above, in particular, the part where I
> say "I just want to be able to inspect a few things first."

That's why I recommended "mc" (midnight commander). If all you want to do is
see/extract what's in the rpm, then that is a very easy way to do it.

> > If you are trying to "install to run" just not in the normal place, this
> > could (depending on the package) cause you more grief then it is worth. A
> > simple "rpm -e <package>" works quite well.
>
> According to the manual and man page, "rpm -e <package>" is for
> uninstalling. If I do that, I will uninstall installed and working
> packages, no?

> You don't seem to understand that I don't want to disturb a running
> system.

Are you saying that you would like to be able to for instance...

 - Have running version of program on system
 - Install secondary version for testing without overwriting the first
 - Use both at same time (each in their own processes)

If so you should first check out the documentation for the program to see
what needs to be done. Some programs may not work well in this scenario. You
would actually need to alter the source and recompile. Else all your hard
work to relocate a package could cause it to still interrupt your running
system.

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]