On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Richard Wilson wrote:

> Thank you for such a detailed explanation.
> Quite a few new concepts for me, it was not boring rather a little
> overwhelming but interesting stuff.
>  <snip>
> Besides the machine is at a co-location two hours away from
> the office :-(

Ummm -- The solution proposed is rather not suited to your
situation.  Assuming you have root access, and fast
intervening bandwidth, you might prefer:

    rsync -av -e ssh --exclude /proc remote.machine.com:/. \
        /path/in/local/filesystem/with/lots/of/space/.

which basically 'photocopies' the remote machine onto your
local filesystem, so you may inventory and experiment as you
wish.  You man also then use a variant of the above command to
build an identical local physical replica of the remote host.

-- Russ Herrold