From: Ashwin Kutty [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 1:18 PM
To: Richard Wilson
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Total Backup of a system (RH6.1)

If you are ready to pay for it you can buy a backup software, of which I
recommend Arkeia..

If you dont have the money and are familiar with Linux then all you need
to backup is all the custom config files and the home/web/user
directories.. Tar em up, zip em up, ftp em to another box.. Re-install
linux on the box if it ever croaks, and then unzip, untar and replace the
dirs..

You could however use Ghost from Symantec or some other such utility to
completely image your system and keep the image somewhere safe or on any
other machine or even a CD.. Boot the machine when it croaks and pick the
image from the CD, network or the other computer (via the network or by a
physical data link between the linux system and the other one..)..

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Richard Wilson wrote:

> I'm new to Linux, and have inherited responsibility for a Linux system.
> This system is important, however the guy that set up this system left the
> company.
> Eventually I will reverse engineer it and document what exactly is on it.
> Since we don't know what exactly is on the machine we need to be able to
> clone this system and bring it up to it's current state.
>
> What is the best method for cloning a RH 6.1 machine and bringing it back
> life in the quickest manner?

---
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits."  - Albert Einstein

Ashwin
kutty..
Systems Administrator