On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:15:50AM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> The reason I want to by-pass my ISP's mail server is
> /var/log/maillog.

> I want to see in that file (via 'tail -f') that my mail has reached
> the addressee's mail server, and I did not see this IIRC when I used
> my ISP's mailserver, because /var/log/maillog stops logging the hand
> over of my mail at the moment when my mail reaches the mail server
> that sendmail knows of (not being 100 % sure on this last part .. :)

Ah, I see:
Jun 23 11:02:08 localhost sendmail[12915]: g5NF26T12912:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], ctladdr=kevin (500/500), delay=00:00:02,
xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=relay, pri=30385, relay=mail.mindspring.com.
[207.69.200.148], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (OK id=17M8sR-0007iB-00)

> Kevin, please forgive me I'm not very verbose on the rest of your
> mail: just this: I want to rely on things that I can configure here,
> i.e in sendmail: to start handling dyndns.org without even knowing
> much on how sendmail works seems making it too complicated for me:
> after all I'm still a beginner with mail settings etc. ... :)

But it's really a dns problem, and there isn't a lot sendmail can do to
fix it.  So many spammers forge their email headers that many MTAs check
to make sure the IP matches the hostname.  The only way I know of to get
around it is to make sure the IP and hostname match.  Provided your ISP
isn't blocking smtp port 25 from your machine, a dyndns account will
allow you to email directly from your computer to any other MTA on the
net, just like you want.  I'm using it on my dialup connection now.

Using dyndns is easier than it sounds.  You register for a free account
and pick a hostname under dyndns.org, and download a client that watches
for a connection on ppp0 or eth0.  Whenever the ip changes, the client
sends it to dyndns.org, and dyndns updates its zonefiles so that your
hostname matches your current ip.  The ddclient rpm is easy to install.
It starts at bootup like any other service, and I never have to worry
about it.  Except that I can now send mail from localhost.localdomain to
any MTA on the net.

Of course, you could also /sbin/ifconfig eth0 or ppp0, edit sendmail.mc

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`some_random_hostname.your_isp.com')dnl

generate a new sendmail.cf, restart sendmail, send the mail, comment out
the above line when you disconnect, and restart sendmail again.  There
is probably some way to automate this, but I'm sure dyndns is easier!