> From: "Edward Dekkers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Adaptec SCSI card failure - my turn!!!
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:26:02 +0800
>
> >   I'm trying to get an Adaptec 1542CP (ISA) card to work under
> >   RH7.3, and
> failing miserably.  With a stock (RPM) kernel, it won't work.  With
> a custom
> compiled kernel, it won't work.  Yet, it worked fine with
> RH7.2...what gives?
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Can't help you with any of that but maybe you can help me?
>
> I'm trying to revive an old box with one of those cards in it and a
> SCSI
> hard drive to match. My card is set to Port 330 IRQ 10 and DMA 5.
>
> How do I get the Linux 7.2 Install to see the drive? Currently disk
> druid
> reports no available drive to install on. I know I probably have to
> pass an
> install parameter, but I've never had to do that before and I'm
> clueless.
>
> Hope you can shed some light.
>
> P.S. When the 1542CP BIOS installs, All windows operating systems
> see it
> without a problem. It's a Linux thing I'm afraid.
>
> Any ideas?

  I just recently installed RH 7.0 on a machine with the Adaptec 1542.
 I had to use the 'drivers.img' file from the /images directory of the
install cd. Use rawrite to make a floppy image of the additional
drivers,  and when the install process can't find your card, use the
drivers from the floppy. Just select the  Adapthec154x series and the
default settings.   If you have to pass specific options to get the
card recognized, use the form:
                  aha1542=0x330
       or,       aha1542=330

                                                           Regards,