some questions on this (thanks for doing this, by the way).

first of all, I'm running Red Hat Linux 7.3, pretty much out of the box (plus
eratta).

On 29-Jan-02 Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> All:
>
> The following are basic instructions on enabling SMTP AUTH on a late-model
> server. These instructions have been tested with Red Hat Linux 7.0 and 7.2,
> using sendmail versions 8.11.0 through 8.11.6 obtained in RPM form from Red
> Hat updates.
>
> They *should* work; however, if they don't, I will *ONLY* attempt to help
> people resolve issues with SMTP AUTH on redhat-list or enigma-list, so that
> everyone gets the benefit of the questions & answers. No questions in
> private email will be answered. Also, note that I am not an expert so I may
> not even know the answers.
>
> Give me feedback and I might just post this on the Web so people can get at
> it more conveniently.
>
> Having said that...
>
>          1. Make sure all your clients are configured to authenticate to
> the mail server. They will not be able to send mail at all if they don't.
> Double-check; many people somehow check the wrong box.
>
> In Outlook or Outlook Express, in the section "Outgoing Mail" of each
> Internet Mail account, there is a checkbox labeled "My server requires
> authentication." Check that; the settings do not need to be changed since
> they are the same username/password they need to get mail.
>
> In Eudora, every Personality has a checkbox labeled "Authentication
> allowed". Eudora being somewhat more intelligent, this box is checked by
> default.
>
>          2. Make sure you are root. If you logged in as a normal user, make
> sure you became root using "su -" to get the full login environment. "su"
> alone misses some things.
>
>          3. Backup your sendmail.mc file by:
>
># cp /etc/mail/sendmail.mc /etc/mail/sendmail.mc.bak
>
>          4. The file /etc/mail/sendmail.mc needs to contain the following
> three lines:
>
> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

This seems to be in the stock RH7.3 distribution

> Please note these are three lines only, be careful of the word wrap. Also,
> those are *directed quotes* not normal quotes. The left directed quote is
> typed with the backtick or "accent grave" key (for those French among us),
> and the right directed quote is typed with the apostrophe.
>
>          5. Backup the /etc/sendmail.cf (the file sendmail actually uses to
> run) by:
>
># cp /etc/sendmail.cf /etc/sendmail.cf.bak
>
>          6. Generate a new sendmail.cf file:
>
># m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
>          7. Copy your new sendmail.cf file over the old one:
>
># cp /etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/sendmail.cf

The generated sendmail.cf differs from the original only in some comments.

> Overwrite /etc/sendmail.cf? y
>
>          8. Verify that you have an /etc/pam.d/smtp file with the following
> contents:
>
>#%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

it's there by default in RH7.3

>          9. Verify that you have a /usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf file with
> the following contents:
>
> pwcheck_method:pam

There by default in stock RH7.3

>          10. Test that sendmail has correctly configured AUTH. Since you do
> not yet have any encrypted authentication mechanisms available, the only
> ones shown when you issue an EHLO command should be LOGIN and PLAIN.
>
># telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 dude.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:24:49 -0600
> ehlo localhost
> 250-dude.com Hello dude.com [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ONEX
> 250-ETRN
> 250-XUSR
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
> 250 HELP

ok, here is where I see something different.

telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Tue, 25 Jun 2002
09:52:46 +0800
ehlo localhost
250-localhost.localdomain Hello
IDENT:Gx/saMUl33v+ffuKhaTs6iwrb6jWcZ3o@amnesia [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ONEX
250-ETRN
250-XUSR
250 HELP

note that the AUTH line is not there.

any hints ?

> quit
> 221 2.0.0 dude.com closing connection
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Next question. Assuming that all relaying is to be done by smtp authentication,
and none by domain, are steps 10,11,12 necessary ? (i.e. /etc/mail/relay-domains
is non-existant)

thx, and rgds,

-Greg

> [...]
> dnl new /etc/sendmail.cf by running the following command:
> dnl
> dnl        m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
> dnl
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
> VERSIONID(`linux setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
> OSTYPE(`linux')
> define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
> undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl
> undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl
> define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
> define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
> define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
> define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
> define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
> define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
> dnl define(`STATUS_FILE', `/etc/mail/statistics')dnl
> define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
> define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
> define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> dnl define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl
> dnl define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `5d')dnl
> dnl define(`confQUEUE_LA', `12')dnl
> dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA', `18')dnl
> dnl FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
> FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
> FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
> FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(redirect)dnl
> FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
> FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
> FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
> FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
> FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
> EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
> dnl Change sendmail to only listen on the loopback interface and
> dnl the internal network interface; never accept outside traffic.
> dnl Add "dnl" to both DAEMON_OPTIONS lines to accept mail from
> dnl all network interfaces.
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.0.1, Name=MTA')
> dnl NOTE: binding both IPv4 and IPv6 daemon to the same port requires
> dnl       a kernel patch
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`port=smtp,Addr=::1, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')
> dnl We strongly recommend to comment this one out if you want to protect
> dnl yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on computers that do
> dnl not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
> dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
> dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
> MAILER(smtp)dnl
> MAILER(procmail)dnl
> Cwlocalhost.localdomain
>
>          13. Hover anxiously over the server for a couple of days and check
> for "Relaying denied" errors. Track them down aggressively as most will be
> your own customers. :) Fix their mail client configurations which they
> didn't fix before when you told them to.

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25-Jun-02
Time: 09:49:40

     then each of us still has one object.
     then each of us now has two ideas.