**NOTE -my original reply seems to have never gotten to the List;
therefore the re-post.

> From: "Edward Dekkers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > From: "tom pollerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >   I just recently installed RH 7.0 on a machine with the Adaptec
> >   1542.
> >  I had to use the 'drivers.img' file from the /images directory of
> >  the
> > install cd. Use rawrite to make a floppy image of the additional
> > drivers,  and when the install process can't find your card, use
> > the drivers from the floppy. Just select the  Adapthec154x series
> > and the default settings.   If you have to pass specific options
> > to get the card recognized, use the form:
> >                   aha1542=0x330
> >        or,       aha1542=330
> >
> >                                                            Regard
> >                                                            s,
> >
> >                                                              Tom
>
> HHHmmm. I'm still missing something because the above thing you told
> me is completely logical and is in fact what I tried the first time.
> My steps are:
>
> 1> Boot from CD.
> 2> Select the drivers installation option
> 3> Insert drivers disk when asked.
>
> But after this, it just jumps back into installation without picking
> up the card. No screen showing me the card setting or anything, or
> the fact that it's even found it, just the boot floppy light comes
> on, goes back off, and that's it. Straight into installation again.
>
> Am I missing a step?
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

  Have you tried the install using 'Expert' mode? The general install
uses autoprobing to try to find the SCSI card. 'Expert' mode allows
you to bypass autoprobing. I have read that some 1542s don't like
being "probed."
  If you boot from an install floppy, the 'Expert' option is on the
first screen ( at least on my RH 7.0 install.)

                                                 Best,

                                                 Tom