On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 09:05, M A Young wrote:
> In case people haven't seen it, according to
> http://bvlive01.iss.net/issEn/delivery/xforce/alertdetail.jsp?oid=20584
> You can secure your system from the recent ssh security hole by turning
> off "challenge-response" authentication and restarting sshd.

Reviewing the announcement, I wonder if this affects Red Hat's OpenSSH
at all...  The output of the configure process indicates positively that
the affected BSD Auth and S/KEY authentication mechanisms are not
available (see below), and connecting to a RHL machine with 'ssh -v'
does not indicate that any challenge-response authentication mechanisms
are available.

It seems to me that Red Hat is free to take their time about providing
an update to OpenSSH 3.4, making damn sure it works right.  We've seen
several reports of upgrades that don't work quite right, and some of us
wouldn't be able to update to a broken version for any reason (firewalls
/good/...).  Does anyone have a more informed opinion?

RHL OpenSSH build:
OpenSSH has been configured with the following options:
                 User binaries: /usr/bin
               System binaries: /usr/sbin
           Configuration files: /etc/ssh
               Askpass program: /usr/libexec/openssh/ssh-askpass
                  Manual pages: /usr/share/man/manX
                      PID file: /var/run
        sshd default user PATH: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
                Manpage format: doc
                   PAM support: yes
            KerberosIV support: no
             Smartcard support: no
                   AFS support: no
                 S/KEY support: no
          TCP Wrappers support: yes
          MD5 password support: no
   IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
      Use IPv4 by default hack: no
       Translate v4 in v6 hack: yes
              BSD Auth support: no
          Random number source: OpenSSL internal ONLY

              Host: i386-redhat-linux-gnu
          Compiler: i386-redhat-linux-gcc
    Compiler flags: -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -Wall -Wpointer-arith
-Wno-uninitialized
Preprocessor flags:
      Linker flags:
         Libraries: -lwrap -lpam -ldl -lutil -lz -lnsl -lcrypto