On 21 Jun 2002, Joshua James wrote:

> How can I remotely administer a server?
>
> I hear that you can't telnet as root but I would rather use the
> XWindow's interface anyway.
>
> Is there a way to use xwindows remotely or even use telnet as root?

You can use the nested X server to display a whole remote dekstop on your
local desktop:

- Start the nested X server on your dekstop PC

  Xnest -ac :2

  -ac makes Xnest to accept connections from anywhere (you may not want to
      open your X desktop to everyone; check out the manuals)
  :2  makes it become DISPLAY=:2

  A grey window should come up which corresponds to the root window of
  the nested X server. If you want to have a larger root window, use the
  "-geometry" parameter at the command line to define the maximum width
  and height.

- Start the remote desktop

  SSH to another Linux PC and login as root if you want.

  On the remote PC specify that the remote desktop should be displayed
  on your local PC. E.g.:

  export DISPLAY=linuxdesk:2

  In this example, linuxdesk is the name of the local desktop PC, 2 is
  the DISPLAY number that was used when Xnest was started, see above.

  Now simply start the desktop, e.g. KDE on the remote PC:

  startkde

  Now the remote desktop should come up in your local root window.

Werner