As I understand it, permissions are like

RWX  ,  RWX             ,       RWX
Owner, GroupOfOwner, RestofWorld

So if all users are in the same group, say 'users',  then you could do :

chmod 660 /var/spool/mail/SPAM
to change the permisions on the folder so only group members and the owner can
read/write to the folder
chgrp -R users /var/spool/mail/SPAM
to ensure the group of the folder and it's contents are set to the 'user'
group

However,  the executable flag also used to indicate whether or not people are
allowed to change to that directory.
So if the above doesn't work,
try
chmod 770 /var/spool/mail/SPAM
chgrp -R users /var/spool/mail/SPAM

Which would be slightly safer by dissalowing the rest of the world from
writing to the directory in question

Wez