On Friday 05 July 2002 01:38 am, David Talkington wrote:

> Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> >Are there any reliable web servers available other than Apache?
>
> That begs the question, are you simply experimenting, or is there
> something you wish to do which you (think) you cannot do with Apache?

I started looking when Apache wasn't loading existing pages, kicking out
an error that the requested document wasn't on the server, even though
it was.  I wasn't able to find anyone who could provide a fix.  Since
then Apache 2.0.39 was released, which I installed.  That fixed the
problems.

I had already installed AOLserver for testing and am using it on one IP
address.  My initial impression of it is that it is designed primarily
to be the web server for one heavily used domain with high database
needs.  It will work, and I may run it simultaneously with Apache for
one domain that needs the database features.  For general use I'm more
in need of a web server that's designed for virtual domain hosting.

To answer your question, right now there's no immediate need.  But if I
have trouble again and can't get support, I need a backup server.  And,
frankly, if in the search for a backup I find a web server that peaks
my fancy, I'll switch to it and use Apache as the backup.

Regards,

Glen