Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous query with the subject
"hostname".

I now have another query, which I think is related. I use my laptop both on a
network, with a fixed IP address at work, and at home and on the move via
dial-up using dynamically assigned IP addresses. I have problems with this;

When I'm on the network, as now, I can't seem to send emails outside of the
domain. If this doesn't appear on the list I'll resend it from an adjacent
windows machine ;-) Maybe my newly configured network names will help?

When I am on dial-up I have to boot interactively and answer "no" to the
"start up network services?" question. If I don't do that I can connect with
KPPP but the applications mail, browsers, etc. can't see the network.

What are the correct settings so that both dial-up PPP and the network will
work without manual interaction at boot? Anthony E. Greene gave two different
configurations for /etc/hosts. How could they be used, are two different
configurations necessary?

Cheers and thanks

Chris Harris
8 Pioneer Row