On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:48:29 -0400, Chris wrote:

>Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous query with the subject
>"hostname".
>
>I now have another query, which I think is related. I use my laptop both on a
>network, with a fixed IP address at work, and at home and on the move via
>dial-up using dynamically assigned IP addresses. I have problems with this;
>
>When I'm on the network, as now, I can't seem to send emails outside of the
>domain. If this doesn't appear on the list I'll resend it from an adjacent
>windows machine ;-) Maybe my newly configured network names will help?
>
>When I am on dial-up I have to boot interactively and answer "no" to the
>"start up network services?" question. If I don't do that I can connect with
>KPPP but the applications mail, browsers, etc. can't see the network.
>
>What are the correct settings so that both dial-up PPP and the network will
>work without manual interaction at boot? Anthony E. Greene gave two different
>configurations for /etc/hosts. How could they be used, are two different
>configurations necessary?

Hi! Did you sort this out?

I would look in the log files for possible reasons why the mail didn't get
sent. There's no particular magic in sending emails: what happens if you
traceroute to an external server while on the network? If you've got a
route, can you telnet to an external smtp server on port 25? Maybe there's
some filtering in place on your network gateway or downstream - some people
don't like customers using port 25 directly.

The dial up problem is probably caused by there being a default route
already defined, and the Redhat ppp script sees this and doesn't replace it
with the route to your ISP. Look at your route table before, and after,
doing the dial up to confirm this.