For many people, running routed is not necessary. Many times, all one needs is
a static default route. For example, 192.168.1.0/24 is via eth1 and
everything else on the planet is via eth0. In any case, you might want to get
things working with static routes before debugging routed.

Ensure both network interfaces are working. Can you ping a host connected to
each interface?

What does 'netstat -nr' show? Does it show a route to the network you are
trying to reach?

cheers,
Mike