On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 08:13, John P Verel wrote:
> On 07/16/02 16:48 +0200, Banze, Andreas wrote:
> > > I have a couple scripts that mount my windows c: and d:
> > > drives. How can I get them to run at start-up for a non-root user?
> >
> Simply put them in /etc/fstab thusly:
>
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/vfat    vfat
>user,owner,exec,dev,suid,rw,conv=binary,uid=500,gid=500,auto 0 0
> /dev/hdb1 /mnt/ddrive  vfat
>user,owner,exec,dev,suid,rw,conv=binary,uid=500,gid=500,auto 0 0
>
> This will do exactly what you want.  Pick whatever mount points suit
> your needs.

That's a whole lot of useless options...  'user' and 'owner' won't do
anything unless the non-root users get ownership of those devices.
Under normal configurations they won't, so that doesn't do anything.
'dev' is useless, since vfat filesystems don't support special files.
'suid' is useless, since vfat filesystems don't support UNIX file
permissions.  'auto' is the default, so it can be excluded.
conf='binary' is also the default, as it does no conversion.

'exec' is questionable.  It'll let you store executables on your vfat,
but most people won't, and it only works if you mark everything as
executable.

Much simpler, and accomplishes the same thing:

/dev/hda    /mnt/vfat    vfat    uid=500,gid=500    0 0

However, that allows write access to only the one user.  If you'd like
the drive accessible by all users, use this instead:

/dev/hda    /mnt/vfat    vfat    umask=111          0 0