Ward William E DLDN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The error message I'm getting is in /var/logs/httpd/error_logs
>
> [Tue Jul 23 12:43:43 2002] [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
> could not bind to port 80
>
> which is NOT helpful, since it comes up even AFTER a reboot.

Two things come to mind:

1. The IP address apache tries to bind to does not exist - that
happens when you have IP Addresses explicitly listed with
'BindAddress' or 'Listen', and this address does not exist when apache
comes up. Might even happen after reboot, if the interface in question
is initialized "later" than apache - should not happen, but who
knows. Not sure why this should give "address already in use", but I
think I've yet seen that effect.

2. "Something" really is using the port; you can easily find out with
   lsof -i :http
This will list all processes having connections on port 80 (http). You
could repeat this like "lsof -i :81" etc. for the other ports. (Has to
be run as root to work correctly.) In case lsof is not installed, on
my 7.3 the package is called 'lsof-4.51-2', on one of the CDs. - lsof
might not show programs that "grab" ports by "unholy" means, such as
the already mentioned portscan, or firewall settings.

Btw, unix/linux is not the kind of system where rebooting fixes
things. Finding out what's wrong and setting it right usually gets you
there faster, once you have a little bit of practice.

In this case: Strip down the httpd.conf (using the comment sign) to
the bare functional minimum, especially remove all references to your
specific hostname/IP address/etc. (I can send you a vanilla httpd.conf
by mail). Restart httpd ("service httpd restart"); look around - what
does it say?

If it works, try to piecewise add functionality by removing comment
signs, until you happen upon the directive/block where apache no
longer starts. If it does not work, you should try stripping even more
settings.

So long,
   Joe

--
"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear
 word processor."