Hi Chris...

What's the server for and do they want the server class nic for a
particular feature, or just because they are going to get (or think
they will get) higher performance?

Drivers for this 3com card can be found at:
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linuxdownloads.htm

They have drivers for 2.2 and 2.4 series kernels, all with the
standard "unsupported labels".

I don't know how well those cards work...a general rule is you don't
want a card that doesn't have full company support or lots and lots of
people using it, and preferably both.

If you just want a card with "server class nic" attached to make
management happy, Intel makes nice server class cards.

If you're looking for the most performance possible, you'll want to
look at the gigabit cards from SysKonnect.

-Sam

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 11:09:46AM -0400, Chris Worth wrote:

> I'm building a new server, and a higher up wants to make sure the server has a
>server
> class nic in it.  he's hot on the 3com 3CR990SVR95.  I don't see it on the list and
>the
> specs don't list Red Hat.  will this work with another 3com driver? or do I need to
> substitute?
>
> thanks.
> chris

Sam Ockman, Chairman and CEO
Tel:  415-358-2600   Fax:  415-896-6742   Toll Free:  888-PENGUIN
PENGUIN COMPUTING - Simplifying the Solution Process [tm]
www.penguincomputing.com