At 07:35 02/08/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I dont see a partition for swap space which is needed by linux to work.
>I think you should use 2 times the ammount of ram you have. Allthough you
>have 1 gig of ram and 2 gigs of swap may be WAY too much. Chime in on this
>one guys, im fuzzy. Is it 2x your ram PERIOD. or what...

A long distant time ago, the rull of thumb was swap=2*ram. But that was
on the big systems with 256K main memory and 18Mb st-506 drives......

These days I just put a 512Mb swap partition knowing I can always add
swapfiles later if it should prove necessary (it hasn't yet)

>By the way, look into why making seperate partitions is better then just
>trying to use as few as possible. Bare minimum is /boot / and swap..
>but making seperate ones for things such as /tmp /home and some others
>have some benifits..

Certainly - I always make /home separate then I keep all the users personal
stuff/desktop settings/application setups are retained across re-installs
(as long
as you don't format it of course).Nice to have /usr/local separate to
retain any
third part (i.e non-rpm) stuff that you load and /var should be separate so
that
log files and mail spools don't fill the root filesystem.