I have a _very_ unusual problem that I cannot figure out. Here's the setup:

server, running default install of 7.3 "server" version with
wu-ftpd-2.6.1-16.

client is a win98 box, using a variety of FTP clients.

When transferring files, across a 100Mbit network (100TX negotiation
confirmed at switch & server & client), FTP seems to max out at about
140KBps. If I put a CDROM in the CD drive on the server, and start to cp
files from the CD to the Hard drive, the FTP speed increases to around
500-600KBps. Once the cp from CD is done, FTP drops back down to 140.

This is a straight default config of wu. The box is plenty powerful
(2x1.2 Athlon, 2x100GB ATA100 WD w/8MB Cache). The network consists of
these two hosts, and nothing else is being done on either.

I'm completely at a loss as to what would cause this, other than some
mysterious and new speed-ftp-up-when-using-cdrom module for the kernel.

Any thoughts?

--
Matthew Boeckman                        (816) 777-2160
Manager - Systems Integration           Saepio Technologies