> You sure you aren't crazy?  :-)

i knew, as soon as I decided to post this, that that would be the
general consensus.

>>server, running default install of 7.3 "server" version with
>>wu-ftpd-2.6.1-16.
>>
>>client is a win98 box, using a variety of FTP clients.
>

> Let's start by eliminating a few things.  Start by not using your win98
> client, but use a client local on your Linux system.  ftp to localhost
> and try the same CD test to see what happens.  If it has no impact, then
> you're looking at a weird network issue.  If it still happens at least
> you've narrowed it down to the Linux system.

yeah, FTP to localhost is superfine 30+MB/s. so i guess it's an entirely
silly network issue. Can't figure out WHAT relation a CDROM might have
to the network layer... but... yeah.

> Is the CD sharing the IDE bus with either of the hard drives?

nope!

--
Matthew Boeckman                        (816) 777-2160
Manager - Systems Integration           Saepio Technologies