On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 06:54, James Pifer wrote:
> I appreciate the answers so far, but no one has really answered the
> question. How does java find the ext directory? Does it find it through
> relative paths, depend on an environment variable(like JAVA_HOME), or
> something else?
>
> Thanks,
> James

 I beleve this is hard coded in the VM.
From
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/extensions/extensions.html

When the Java VM encounters a class name, it looks first for the class
in the set of bootstrap classes. If it fails to find the desired class
among the system classes, the VM will then search for the class in any
JAR files in jre/lib/ext.

Note that there is nothing special about any particular JAR file itself
or the classes it contains that makes it an installed extension. It is
an installed extension by virtue of its location in jre/lib/ext.

HTH

Bret