I've just taken my first stumbling steps down on the Linux road,
installing Redhat 7.3. Many things have impressed me so far, but the
over all speed of my system is a big dissappointment. Compared to when I
run Windows 95 and Windows 2000 on the same computer, almost everything
seems to take for ever.

 Clicking "New Message" in Evolution until the new message turns up
takes a couple of seconds. Starting OpenOffice 1.0 Writer somewhere
between 30 seconds and a minute. Recieving 500 mails or so from my ISP
somewhere between 15 och 30 minutes.

 My computer is a PII-233, ATI Mach64 3D Rage IIC for video, 192 MB RAM
and 2 ATA33 hard drives.

 What's the bottleneck? Could anything besides plugging in more RAM be
done to boost the performance?

 Best regards,

  Anders