Mike Burger wrote:

>I have a similarly configured machine, with the exception of hte RAM...my
>PII 266 only has 64MB, and I often note a slowness in KDE, but I assume it
>to be a lack of RAM, as I often note the system swapping.
>
>Check "free" to make sure your system is recognizing the full complement
>of memory in the box.
>
>On 11 Aug 2002, Anders Thoresson wrote:
>
>>I've just taken my first stumbling steps down on the Linux road,
>>installing Redhat 7.3. Many things have impressed me so far, but the
>>over all speed of my system is a big dissappointment. Compared to when I
>>run Windows 95 and Windows 2000 on the same computer, almost everything
>>seems to take for ever.
>>
>> Clicking "New Message" in Evolution until the new message turns up
>>takes a couple of seconds. Starting OpenOffice 1.0 Writer somewhere
>>between 30 seconds and a minute. Recieving 500 mails or so from my ISP
>>somewhere between 15 och 30 minutes.
>>
>> My computer is a PII-233, ATI Mach64 3D Rage IIC for video, 192 MB RAM
>>and 2 ATA33 hard drives.
>>
>> What's the bottleneck? Could anything besides plugging in more RAM be
>>done to boost the performance?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>  Anders

I have a 1.3ghz computer with 512 megs of ram I too am seeing this when
I fist installed RH it seemed to do ok however I am now suspecting the
update2 and the kernal up dates that I have done using it it is not
running as fast as it did when I fist installed it I think I am going
 to start from scratch.