> > Machine is a Compaq Laptop Presario 2710 with a built in modem..
> >
> > This is a basic clean install of RH7.3 on this machine, when installed
> > everthing was chosen to install.
> >
> > When trying to go to the internet it tells us that it cannot find the
> modem.
> >
> > click on "K" go to internet, then kppp dial-up tool then insert proper
> > information to connect to Bellsouth.net then get error
> >
> > kppp
> > kppp cannot find: /dev/modem please make sure you have setup modem device
> > properly and or adjust location of modem device on modem tab of the setup
> > dialog.
> >
> > Go to setup and click on Modem tab and try to querry the modem, this is an
> > ati querry but it says it cannot find modem.
> >
> > Can someone help me to install a built in modem
>
> Michael, this really should be question of the week, because that's how
> often it gets asked.
>
> Search google on how to do this, but if you want my opinion, you're going to
> save a lot of time and effort by ditching the internal modem and purchasing
> a decent serial external one. In the past, present and future I expect,
> serial external modems just work. Internal soft modems are the devil's
> spawn, and something I wish could be uninvented.

Assuming your Presario 2710 uses a Conexant HSF PCI chipset, check out
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/.  FWIW, I've found the HCF driver to "just work"
wonderfully well with the Conexant modem in my Dell.  Source and binary RPM's
are available.  Shout at the devil! };)

--
Justin Ballou
Physician's Computer Company