On Tuesday 27 Aug 2002 4:57 pm, Brian Lucas wrote:
> X isn't starting on my laptop and just cycling through the start sequence.
> How can I boot in just text mode without X?

Once your laptop has booted and the HD activity has stopped, press
<Alt>+<Ctrl>+<F1> to switch to a console mode terminal session.

Log in as root
enter the command 'init 3' and that will switch you to runlevel 3 which is
text mode only.

Then edit the file /etc/inittab. Near the top, you should see a line like:

id:5:initdefault:

Change the '5' to a '3' and in future when you boot up, your machine will
already be in runlevel 3

--
Gary Stainburn