At this point, I have the remote windows machine printing to the pdf
share, and I see the file spool in /var/spool/samba
After printing ends, the spool file disappears, and I cannot find out
what happens. /usr/bin/printpdf is never called.

Any ideas>
Here's the relevant sections of smb.conf:
global]
        ;basic server settings
        workgroup = altamer
        printing = cups
        netbios name = loki
        server string = Samba PDC running %v
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
        ;PDC and master browser settings
        os level = 64
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes
        ;security and logging settings
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        domain logons = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 2
        max log size = 50
        ;hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.100.0/255.255.255.0
192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 217.41.0.0/255.255.0.0
        ;user profiles and home directory
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
        logon drive = H:
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon script = netlogon.bat
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u
        ;sync UNIX passwords
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
   ;guest account = nobody

#===Shares===
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    browseable = yes
    available = yes
    public = yes

# Set up our PDF-creation print service
[pdf]
    comment = PDF conversion
    path = /var/spool/samba
    read only = no
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = yes
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %s
#
# There is no need to support listing or removing print jobs,
# since the server begins to process them as soon as they arrive.
# So, we set the lpq (list queued jobs) and lprm (remove jobs in queue)
# commands to be empty.
       lpq command =
       lprm command =