I asked on the CUPS list and got the definitive reply, which I tested
and confirmed it works great. I am copying here for anyone with CUPS
that needs the same facility:

Kurt Pfeifle [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] said:

Visit http://printing.kde.org/downloads/. Grab the "PDF distiller
script". It is a script that works as a "CUPS backend". Copy it as
filename "pdf" to "/usr/lib/cups/backend/", make it world-executable and
re-start cupsd.

Install a "printer", connected to the backend:

"lpadmin -p PDFcreator -v pdf:/home/chris/PDFfiles -E -P
/path/to/distiller.ppd"

(for distiller.ppd you can take a PPD designed for Acrobat Distiller.)
This printer "PDFcreator" is handled like any other by CUPS: appearing
in every clients' browse list, automatically available, taking as input
any file format CUPS can handle (text, PostScrpt, graphic, HP/GL...),
etc. All generated PDF files will be saved under a unique name in the
directory "/home/chris/PDFfiles" (which you need to create too). Of
course, you can direct it somewhere else, like a Samba [PDF-file-share],
to make it accessible to all Windows users for retrieval...

The distiller.ppd is not working 100% with the "real" engine inside the
backend script (which calls Ghostscript's 'ps2pdf' to do the job) --
meaning not all selectable options are really used; someone needs to
write a PPD
which is reflecting "ps2pdf"'s abilities 100%. But the basic setup works
extremly well....

Cheers,
Kurt

[Uhmmm... the script was written by KDEPrint wizard Michael Goffioul;
but it has nothing "KDE" specific in it and it is *not* the same as the
"Print to File (PDF)" special printer that is in the list of any current
KDE print dialog...]