On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 09:20:10PM -0500, Bob Buckley wrote:

> We use wvdial quite a bit. Easy to configure and use. But you must be root
> to dial out. At least that is as far as I have gotten.

Sudo!  It is possible to use your modem without being root, but it
requires fooling around with device permissions and sometimes the redhat
gods reset your changes anyway.  The easiest solution is, as root type
"visudo" and add a line something like the following:

kevin localhost = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/wvdial

Then a simple "sudo wvdial" will connect you to the net.

Sudo is a genuinely useful tool.  I use it all the time.