On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 12:20:56AM -0400, Anthony E. Greene wrote:

> It may be a stale lockfile. Look in /var/lock and its subdirectories for a
> modem lock file. The file should not exist until you dial out.

Nope.  But I just checked and noticed that /dev/ttyS0 decided to change
its permissions again:

[kevin@localhost kevin]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crwxr-xr-x    1 root     uucp       4,  64 Sep  4 07:08 /dev/ttyS0

I su'd to root and changed them back to 777, and I still get the "cannot
open /dev/modem: device or resource busy" error when I try to connect as
a non-root user.

Oh well.  wvdial + sudo works well enough, but I'd be able to automate
things a little more if I could connect as a regular user.