I'm running a small home LAN server on an older P2-400 box.  Currently set up w/ a
20GB and a 40 GB HD in LVM.  Unfortunately the bios on this older mobo only recognizes
up to 32GB on one HD.

Rather than dink around w/ a couple more smaller (20GB or so HDs), I was interested in
getting an adapter card that supports FireWire and/or USB 2.0, and an external drive,
something like a 120 or 160GB model, perhaps several stacked over time as an external
array of sorts.  All this is on the premise that external devices like USB or Firewire
drives wouldn't be affected by the BIOS limit of 32GB.

Anyone on the list use something like this and want to comment?  Suggestions?  How
hard is it to get Firewire support working w/ the default RH kernel?  I'm browsing the
Google archives, and sifting thru the posts there as I get time, but there seems to be
a lot of Firewire questions, and 'me too's, but not so many hard answers of 'Yes, I've
done it, and this is what I had to do', hence me asking here.

TIA,

Monte