> I'm running a small home LAN server on an older P2-400 box.  Currently set
up w/ a 20GB and a 40 GB HD in LVM.  Unfortunately the bios on this older
mobo only recognizes up to 32GB on one HD.

There's usually software you install to fix that limitation (it's EZ-BIOS
for Western Digital for example). And I'm pretty once you're booted, Linux
will take care of any geometry your BIOS by default won't see. Go to the
manufacturer's web site for details. Also a PII-400 will more than likely
have a flash BIOS on the mainboard . Why not go tho the manufacturer of the
motherboard's website and grab the new BIOS? They usually provide it free.

> Rather than dink around w/ a couple more smaller (20GB or so HDs), I was
interested in getting an adapter card that supports FireWire and/or USB 2.0,
and an external drive, something like a 120 or 160GB model, perhaps several
stacked over time as an external array of sorts.  All this is on the premise
that external devices like USB or Firewire drives wouldn't be affected by
the BIOS limit of 32GB.

True, they shouldn't. But why make things hard for yourself?

Why not just buy an ATA100 or 133 controller? (Promise comes to mind).

Instant ATA100/133 and new controller BIOS without the 32Gb limitation to
boot. I can pick them up here in Australia for $75 AUD or so (be like what -
$35 US?).

I think the external stuff may get a lot more complicated than the above
suggestions.

Regards,
Ed.