Telnet and SSH are different servers running on different ports.  SSH
normally runs on port 22.  From the error message you got it looks like
you were trying to connect on port 23.  Make sure that you are using a
SSH client, not a telnet client.  You can't connect to an SSH server
with a telnet client.  I don't know about Webmin, but it might have a
choice or button to toggle that choises Telnet or SSH when you click on
"SSH/Telnet Login"

Hope that helps.

By the way, when you say that you can "telnet no problem from a dos
console", what do you mean?  Are you at a bash command prompt?  Are you
typing "ssh ...." or "telnet ...."?