I have been playing with a software raid 1, and have discovered I
guess I don't know how PCs boot...

Say I have one disk on /dev/hda and another on /dev/hdc.  What happens
if the disk on /dev/hda dies?  (I simulated this by playing with
another distribution on /dev/hda.)  I can't get the disk on /dev/hdc
to boot anymore.

Using the Knoppix disc as a rescue CD (wonderful disk!) I can mount my
/etc as an ext2 (or was it 3?).  I pulled out the raidtab and
unmounted /etc again.  Then I did a raidstart with my raidtab, once
for each of my md's.  I then did a serious of regular mounts to turn
the md's into regular volumes.  Cool.  I now have my entire raid 1
world mounted as a non-redundant raid array, all under Knoppix.

I now try to run lilo (the version on my disk) to put a master boot
record on the /dev/hdc disk and can't do it.  OK, so I tried running
the newer lilo that comes on the Knoppix CD.  It lets me specify what
disk to install on, but it still won't boot.  Dang!

How do BIOSes boot?

Thanks,

-kb