hi,
Check under your mixer settings that the volume of the cd itself is set
high.
Also doublecheck that your speakers are connected to the correct output on
your
sound card.  I have a simmelar situation where I do not get sound
on the one channal, but on the second channal connected to my high fi,
the cd plays.
I have a soundblaster live card.
Playing audio files work on both channals.
I found a cdda player on the net a few years ago called cddaplay which can
play the cdda files on a cd.
hth
Willem

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Richard Kimball wrote:

> I have a dual boot machine with XP on one drive and RH 7.3 on the other.
> When I play a sound CD under XP, everything works fine.  When I try to play
> one under RH, the CD Player app correctly identifies the CD and starts
> playing it, but no sound comes out.  I've checked the volume settings in
> GMIX and they're set high enough.  If I play a .mpg file I get sound.  Any
> ideas what's going on?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich Kimball

Willem van der Walt