On 24-Sep-2002 at 17:06:14 Anthony E. Greene wrote:
> Unless the LDAP server admin will setup a scheduled dump for you, I don't
> see any way other than running dozens of looped queries to get all the
> entries.

Agreed.

>From the openldap mailing list, I asked the same question there, it appears
that:

  The OpenLDAP ldapsearch(1) does not presently support the LDAP Simple Paged
  Result Control (RFC 2696) extension to LDAPv3.

> The good thing is that once the queries are scripted, you don't have to
> worry about them anymore. The disadvantage is that running dozens of
> queries in quick succession may put a pretty good load on the server.

Good reason for them to up the limit then :-)

> <rant>
> It shouldn't be that hard to setup a scripted dump on the server. This is
> the kind of thing that gives Windows sysadmins a bad name.
> </rant>

Unfortunately this is not the only thing that 'Windows/Exchange/ldap
servers' are having problems with (or rather the server team are having
problems with). As said it is one of the reasons why I was asked to look into
this from the unix side, and why we want the MS servers to have to do as
little for us as possible - the linux/unix boxes should do (most of) the
work.

John.