I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this
question, but I'll give it a shot.

I have a perl script that runs as a daemon, listening
on port 10022.

If I call the script from the command line, logged in
as root,  it works great.  However, if the script is
called from CRON, or by any startup scripts (such as
after a reboot), the script does not accept connections
and effectively fails.

I found that if I change the crontab entry and call
the script through "su", then it works:

su - root -c "script"

It also works this way in the startup scripts.

Now I understand that the "-" parameter to "su" makes the
shell a login shell and changes many environment settings.

My question is this:

How can I test the script from an environment exactly like
that which CRON or the login scripts run in?

That way, I can figure out exactly what is going wrong and
what environment settings need to be changed.

Thanks.

Barton