First, the obvious question -- did you hook up the audio cable from the
drive's output to the soundcard's cd input?  Does kscd see the disc?
Have you configured the player for the right cdrom device (ie.
/dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrom1)?  If so, can you hear anything from the
headphone output on the drive itself (maybe a sound driver problem?).

On another note, for cd writing using cdrecord, I had to use scsi
emulation.  Do this by adding "hdx=ide-scsi" (where x is the letter of
your cd-rw) to the kernel line in your grub config.  Here's what mine
looks like:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3) w. scsi emulation
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda2 hdd=ide-scsi
         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img

Hope this helps.

Gunnar