After upgrading from 7.2 to 7.3 I noticed that I had no drive space. I
assumed that the upgrade used much of the drive to store temp files, but
it appeared to me that I had plenty of space. Then I discovered that I
had been infected by Slapper variant A (.uubugtaq). I downloaded the RH
patches, but had difficulty applying them because the system thought it
had to space. Finally, I installed in single-user mode. I thought all
was well for a few minutes, but I'm out of space again.

Does slapper spoof the system into thinking that it has no space? Might
I have another virus?

Mark

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/24/02 17:36 PM >>>
For those that may not have heard, there is already a new version of
slapper
out in the wild.  I run multiple servers and had forgotten I ran SSL on
one
of them, so I got infected with it. :-(  Anyway the new variant is
called:
cinik.  It stores itself in the same directory (/tmp) but now all the
filenames are .cinik.c  .cinik, etc.

This thing runs on UDP port 1978.  This is also a broken one in that it
will
simply take down your internet connection totally even before an attack
is
launched.  I would HIGHLY suggest people block off UDP port 1978 if they
don't NEED it for something else.  This variant still uses the same
backdoor
the original slapper worm did, so an upgrade of SSL should fix the
problem.
Some work has definately been done on this to make it a little harder to
find.  (It even says so in the opening comments.) hehehe.

Just a heads up for everyone.

 - Matt