Sorry for combining 2 questions, but they're both short!

First, if I use "tar" to backup something then later restore it, will it
wipe out anything that's in the existing directories?  For example, if I
tar up /usr/home/ to get all my home directories, if there is something
under /usr/ will it wipe it out or just leave it?  I think I'll have to
experiment a little...

Also, I know how to boot into single-user mode w/ Lilo, can somebody tell
me how to do it w/ Grub or point me to a how-to?  I can't find much about
Grub in the how-tos but since I'm using it on my laptop I might need to
know sometime!

Thanks,
Kerry