hi,
iam not clear about your question.in case you wanted to ask what would
happen when you untar at a place where a directory with the same name
exist the this is the reply.
if you tar a directory and then restore it later at a place there already
exist a directory by that name.then on untaring the directory would be
over written.
if you wanted to ask that when you tar a file will the old file continue
to be there then the answer is yes.
the second question:I hope the attached document answers yur second
question.

Regards,
BAlakrishnan Asish

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Kerry Miller wrote:

> Sorry for combining 2 questions, but they're both short!
>
> First, if I use "tar" to backup something then later restore it, will it
> wipe out anything that's in the existing directories?  For example, if I
> tar up /usr/home/ to get all my home directories, if there is something
> under /usr/ will it wipe it out or just leave it?  I think I'll have to
> experiment a little...
>
> Also, I know how to boot into single-user mode w/ Lilo, can somebody tell
> me how to do it w/ Grub or point me to a how-to?  I can't find much about
> Grub in the how-tos but since I'm using it on my laptop I might need to
> know sometime!
>
> Thanks,
> Kerry

                 The Ultimate Inspiration is the Deadline
                                                          Nolan Bushnell
Asish Balakrishnan                         email-:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
2nd Year MCA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept of Computer Science
University of Pune
Pune-411007

   #Red  Hat Linux 7.3 Rescue Mode Booting Rescue Mode Redundant Array of
   Independent Disks (RAID)

   Red Hat Docs

    Red Hat Docs  >  Manuals  >  Red Hat Linux Manuals  >  Red Hat Linux
                                   7.3  >

   Red Hat Linux 7.3: The Official Red Hat Linux Customization Guide
   Prev Chapter 3. Rescue Mode Next

Booting Single-User Mode

   You  may  be  able  to  boot single-user mode directly. If your system
   boots, but does not allow you to log in when it has completed booting,
   try single-user mode.

   If  you  are  using  GRUB,  use  the  following  steps  to  boot  into
   single-user mode:

    1. If  you  have  a  GRUB  password  configured, type p and enter the
       password.
    2. Select  Red Hat Linux with the version of the kernel that you wish
       to  boot and type e for edit. You will be presented with a list of
       items in the configuration file for the title you just selected.
    3. Select  the  line  that  starts with kernel and type e to edit the
       line.
    4. Go  to  the  end  of  the  line and type single as a separate word
       (press the [Spacebar] and then type single). Press [Enter] to exit
       edit mode.
    5. Back at the GRUB screen, type b to boot into single user mode.

   If  you  are using LILO, specify one of these options at the LILO boot
   prompt (if you are using the graphical LILO, you must press [Ctrl]-[x]
   to exit the graphical screen and go to the boot: prompt):
boot: linux single
boot: linux emergency

   In  single-user  mode,  you  computer  boots to runlevel 1. Your local
   filesystems  will  be mounted, but your network will not be activated.
   You will have a usable system maintenance shell.

   In  emergency  mode,  you are booted into the most minimal environment
   possible.  The  root  filesystem  will be mounted read-only and almost
   nothing  will  be  set  up.  The main advantage of emergency mode over
   linux  single  is  that  your  init  files  are not loaded. If init is
   corrupted  or  not working, you can still mount filesystems to recover
   data that could be lost during a re-installation.

   Have  you  ever  rebuilt  a  kernel  and,  eager  to  try out your new
   handiwork,  rebooted before running /sbin/lilo? If you did not have an
   entry  for  an  older  kernel  in lilo.conf, you had a problem. If you
   would like to know a solution to this problem, read this section.

   In many cases, you can boot your Red Hat Linux system from the Red Hat
   Linux boot disk [1] with your root filesystem mounted and ready to go.
   Here is how to do it:

   Enter the following command at the boot disk's boot: prompt:
   linux single root=/dev/hdXX initrd=

   Replace the XX in /dev/hdXX with the appropriate letter and number for
   your root partition.

   What  does  this  command  do?  First,  it  starts the boot process in
   single-user  mode, with the root partition set to your root partition.
   The empty initrd specification bypasses the installation-related image
   on  the  boot  disk,  which  will  cause you to enter single-user mode
   immediately.

   Is  there a negative side to using this technique? Unfortunately, yes.
   Because the kernel on the Red Hat Linux boot disk only has support for
   IDE built-in, if your system is SCSI-based, you will not be able to do
   this.  In  that  case,  you  will have to access rescue mode using the
   linux rescue command mentioned above.

   Prev                Home                                        Next
   Booting Rescue Mode  Up  Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID)